Maison a Machicoulis

February 05, 2017  •  Leave a Comment

French Castle

The Maison a Machicoulis was built in 1726 at the mouth of the Niagara River as a trading post for the Iroquois.  The name translated as House of Peace to appease the Iroquois.  The French built the original fortification and called in Fort Conti in 1678.  Over the years, the fort passed to the British and, finally, to the United States of America.

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Archive
January February March (6) April (3) May (3) June (1) July (1) August (1) September October November December
January February (1) March April (1) May June (2) July (1) August September October (1) November (4) December
January February March April May June July August September October November December