In the early nineteenth century, mills began to appear along Eighteenmile Creek in Royalton, New York. Eventually, two mill ponds were constructed to drive the mills that were built in the area. The first mill was built in 1812 by Colonel Jonathan Mabee, and his family operated that, and other mills along the creek. In 1872, the family built a new four story gristmill to replace the original mill which they sold. In 1880, fire gutted the stone Mabee Mills and it was abandoned. The remains of the structure still stand, although, due to increasing decay and rock-falls, the mill is now posted.